Steampunk-Altered Journal-Creative Embellishments

Oct 17, 2015

Hello everyone and welcome back to my blog today.  I am up hosting the blog over at Creative Embellishments and I have an awesome project to share with you.  
Awhile ago i was visiting the fabulous Hobby Lobby in the US and picked up a burlap journal.  I thought it would be perfect for an altered journal and I have finally had time to do something with it

SO the journal started out looking like this, it had a wired bound journal inside with a burlap button and string clasp.  I had thought of using this to carry with me on scrapbook trips listing the inks i have; dies i have, so i do not duplicate my purchases. 

here are some other photos of the mixed media album i picked up 
for under 10.00 US!

To begin with, i removed the journal from inside the album.  I didnt want all the mist and gesso to ruin it.  I then set out by cutting off the closure and button as i wanted to create my own closure with the Fab Scraps Metal Clasps  ( love those things), I I needed to gesso the album,  front with white, inside black. 


 I cut the Steampunk panel in half and used the one piece on the flap of the journal and the other i centered around where the button clasp was. 


I then began adding more gears, adhering some metal gears randomly around the cover. I incorporated some metal buttons I also used a prima metal clock where the old button clasp was and had to build up the Fab Scraps clasp so when the flap was closed it would latch properly.  All of the chipboard was glued on with art institute dries clear, i adhered all my chipboard, metal embellishments and gears until i was happy with it.  Everything was gessoed again. Then i began misting, using black mist and gesso to create shadows so the journal would appear more worn in areas than others.


i seriously, used all the gears i had in my collection and love how this turned out.  Layers of Mist; beads; gesso; glaze achieve my final look.

the back of the journal, i just misted with Verdigris glimmer mist, i wanted the back to stay flat a peek below at side flap and back of the album


Have fun playing with the chipboard, experiment in new ways, you just never know what brilliant project you can create by stepping out of your comfort zone and having fun!



Creative Embellishments:

Other Materials:
Hobby Lobby Mixed Media Journal ( i am linking to it)  White gesso; black gesso; craft medly gold beads; metal gears ( source unknown) Prima metal Clock face; Fab Scraps Metal Clasp; Glimmer Mist in Gold; Bornze, Black; Verdigris; Silks in EMporer Gold; Cowboy Glaze, Coconut Shell Glaze;