★ distress marker vs. chalk colour

Apr 4, 2014

Hello Everyone and Happy Friday to you.  For those of you who enjoy colouring your stamped images, i have a comparison for you.  In the past, i always used copics.  I love the way they blended, but found, i just could no longer justify the cost to coninue purchasing all the colours.  My copics, now, for the longest time, have sat stored in a cabinet in my scrap room.

I have recently started playing around with the Tim Holtz Distress Markers.  And Pebbles Inc. Chalk. I have all the colours in the Tim Holtz Distress Marker line to date.  It was far more cheaper for me to go this route, then to continue investing hunderds of dollars in copics. And i have to say, i dont know what all the fuss is about with copics, seriously, they are way too expensive for the budget careful scrapper ( there i said it) :) .

PCBL-DistressMarkers

as for Pebbles Inc Chalk, i have two palettes here in my possession. The Pastel set and the Metallic set. and im using a water brush and a tombow blender pen with both colouring techniques.  On water colour paper, stamped with Ranger Archival Ink in Black.


metallic cream pastel


Pebble Ink Chalk: Each set includes: 15 colors, 2 shades per color for a total of 30 fabulous choices. Chalk is soft and easy to blend with colors match any project you may have. Includes 3 sizes of pom-poms per color and an applicator tool. Packaged in convenient and secure metal tin. Chalk size: 1.25x1/2" is half-size.




Now, i have coloured with both.  The chalks i have used wet, and dry.  And i have to say i love the effects and tones i can achieve from both.  Today i set out to colour two of the same stamped image, back to back.  one with Distress Markers, the other with Chalks.


I found this video on Pinterest on how to colour chalks with a blender pen.  And I liked it so much i had to try it and now, will gladly switch out my copics to colour with my chalks or my DIstress Markers.  (all you copics people out there, yes i said it, copic I love the tones i can create with my distress markers, from a very light, to a very dark tone of all the colours.  So here are the two images., well same image,


This image coloured with my distress markers. I tend to start at the stamped line with my colour and blend it into the center with my blender.  I'm careful not to place too much colour down as it makes it more difficult to achieve a lighter tone in a small area.  Some times, i take the colour right off the nib of the marker ( especially in smaller areas) and in larger areas I will pull out the water brush ( as in the middle of her dress) to blend the colour out to the edges.


easter girl 001


and here is the same image coloured with chalks and a blender pen. Now i obviously could not colour the chalk image with the same colours, but as you can see, the chalks and a blender pen, blend just as nice.


chalk coloured image


the one thing i can suggest if you try the chalk idea, is to try and stay away from your stamp lines, it tends to mute them out a bit, unless of course, that is the looks you are going for.


here they are side by side, you can see the chalk image does look more muted, but, imagine the possibilities for vintage images where you dont want the colouring to be too bold.


side by side


I hope you give them a try ( meaning the chalk and the distress markers) i love the distress markers and you will soon be seeing more projects here on my site using both techniques.


Happy Friday!